The truth about Aromatherapy
Aromatherapy is an art, the art to prevent or treat with essential oils. Aromatherapy is an old science recently recognized and studied as such and can even be divided in several branches such as aromatology, when essential oils are used for cosmetic purposes and aromachology when they are used for their aroma only. We find to our great delight that essential oils can offer us all the above benefits in one application or simply by opening a medicine cabinet.
What are these essential oils that have given us such an intriguing array of benefits? Essential oils are the fragrant volatile fraction of plants that can be extracted from different parts of a plant or tree, flowers, leaves, resin, bark etc… They are liquid, oily yet not greasy since they can evaporate. Some are very light, others more viscous but all are lighter than water with which they cannot mix, however, they can blend in any other oil, alcohol and other solvants.
Each essential oil has a distinctive odour and colour which makes them so interesting and so pleasurable, just imagine … blue camomille, pale green bergamot, citrus, floral and herbal scents…all natural and soft! Perhaps with one exception, the powerful peppermint that awakes all your senses and dissolves migraines.
Among the many qualities of essential oils, their antibacterial and antiviral properties are undeniable and proven very effective. Danièle Festy pharmacist (1) cites 10 excellent reasons to use essential oils that possess antibiotic power:
- Essential oils do not cause antibiotic resistance which is a very real threat today and is taken very seriously by the American Medical Association (AMA).
- The majority of essential oils are also antiviral while there is no pharmaceutical product that can destroy viruses. As most colds are caused by viruses, it is in a patient’s best interest to use essential oils with both antiviral and antibacterial benefits.
- Antibiotics arrest the reproduction of bacteria by blocking their metabolic and organic functions, essential oils also modify their environment making it inhabitable for these germs.
- When ingested, essential oils are effective at much lower doses than antibiotics.
- Essential oils stop the reproduction of bad germs while provoking a positive immune response.
- Essential oils can be used quickly and effectively at the first sign of infection.
- Aromatherapy can be used in conjunction with conventional medicine for better and longer lasting results.
- Aromatherapy is becoming more precise with the use laboratory research on which essential oil has the strongest effect on any particular germ. We hope to have more precise usage indications in the near future.
- An essential oil with antibacterial properties acts upon a greater variety of germs than pharmaceutical antibiotics.
- Last but not least, diffused essential oils can disinfect a room in less than ten minutes! The true essential oil diffuser is a great device to use at home, at work and soon in all hospitals, dental and medical facilities.
Essential oils are not miracle oils, they are simply a by-product of evolution. Plants have been able to produce such wonderful healing and fragrant oils to protect themselves from the environment, harsh winds, to heal their burns from the sun, bites from insects, or to seduce their pollinators. Ever wonder why bee stings can completely disappear with a single application of lavender oil when the plant itself attracts so many of them?