Prevention with Essential Oils
It is undeniably less strenuous, more affordable and a lot more fun to take measures to prevent diseases than undergoing expensive treatments or simply being unable to attend a dinner. There are basic habits such as good hygiene and living in the salubrious environment that most of us enjoy in this part of the world, and there are strong priorities. At the top of the list stands exercise, sports, activities; in second place, an excellent, well balanced nutrition; thirdly good sleep followed by meaningful relationships and a fullfilling job. What about stress you might say?…Well, a little stress is beneficial, it stimulates the adrenal glands to secrete norepinephrine and epinephrine, two hormones that get you going on the project your nagging boss is demanding, or to finish that boring paper that will get you an “A”. Stress also gives a little boost to the immune system but a constant and significant amount of stress causes high blood pressure, cardiac problems, fatigue and depression. Sometimes, a review of our life and reorganizing it, taking time to meditate each day can eliminate some of the causes of unwanted stress.
How do Essential Oils fit into Prevention?
In sport, a number of oils are used by athletes before training to prepare their muscles for that itensive workout and to prevent injuiries, by the same token but using different oils, massages after workouts and trauma decrease inflammation and edema. You will find the formulas under the section “therapies”.
In nutrition, essential oils are a pleasure to use as long as the dose is kept to a minimum, for example one drop of oregano will flavor 3 cups of tomato sauce. A drop of lemon in water will regulate you pH balance. Check for recipes under the sections “therapies” and “cooking with essential oils”.
Many essential oils are soothing and relaxing, although we can name many, each person responds differently to scents therefore it is important to personalize your treatment and choose between the citrus, flowery, or herbal scents such as:
- Aspic Lavender
- Verbena citriodora
- Ylang Ylang
Finally, the following list prepared by Danièle Festy (pharmacist) gives a very informative overview of the essential oils that treat diseases and help the immune system fight ailments and prevent further infections:
- Cistus lanadiferus better for autoimmune diseases
- Boswelia carterii supports the immune system
- Eucalyptus radiata, the softest of all the eucalyptus essential oils, has a very pleasant scent and is gentle on the skin. It is perfect for respiratory hygiene, it is well tolerated by children and supports the immune system.
- Laurus nobilis, an antiviral stronger than maleleuca (tea tree), treats and supports the immune system
- Lavandula spica (lavandula latifolia aspica) found near the coast of Provence, in Spain and North Africa, is named aspic for its ability to treat snake bites. It is extraordinaraly effective on burns and also stimulates the immune system.
- Naiouli ptotects the epidermis from radiation, improves dermal and mucosal resistance.
- Oregano (Origanum compactum) has anti bacterial, antiviral, anti parasites properties, it will fight the bad bacteria without killing the natural flora of the body. It has a strong effect on the immune system, and prevents viral contamination. It is great for herpes, zona, common colds and is a good complement in the fight for AIDS and against fungus.
- Cinnamon (Cinnamomum camphorum cineoliferum) reinforces the immune system by stimulating the suprarenal glands responsible for the immune response. It is used in Belgium in serious cases of AIDS and momonucleosis.
- Thymus with thunajol stimulates, protects the respiratory system as well as the genitourinary and digestive system. A diffusion of thyme in the winter may keep your family healthy all winter long and a true essential oil diffuser is a great device to use at home, at work, in schools, hospitals and all other medical institutions. A massage of the chest and back with one drop of lemon, mixed with one drop of thymus with linalol and one drop of laurus nobilis (bay leaf) will keep the common cold away. Use it every day during the winter months.